This cake is so simple and easy to throw together if you are in a rush but want to make something that looks really good. The leftover zested oranges can be used to make fresh orange juice so nothing goes to waste. You can add more or less zest and cinnamon depending on how much you love or hate the citrus and cinnamon flavour. The candied oranges can stay for quite a while but if you want to store your cake for a long time I would recommend removing before storing.
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1 orange zested
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g unsalted butter
- 225g icing sugar
- 1 orange zested
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
Candied orange Slices
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 Orange finely sliced.
- Cream the butter until softened in a stand mixer and then add the sugar and continue to cream at a high speed until pale in colour. I like to use the K attachment on my mixer but you can use a whisk as well (just make sure that the butter is very soft but not liquid).
- Turn the speed down to low and slowly add the eggs in. (You may need to use a spatula or spoon to scrape down the edges of the bowl so that all of the butter sugar mixture combines with the eggs.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and mix on a medium speed in your mixer.
- Add the cinnamon and Orange zest and incorporate into your mixture by mixing on a low speed.
- Split the batter evenly between two greaseproof lined baking tins and bake in the oven at 180’C (350F) for 35 minutes. or until a cocktail stick comes out clean when push through the centre.
- Once cooked leave to cool and turn out on a wire rack.
- Using a whisk attachment mix your softened butter until almost white in colour, then add the sugar slowly to mixer, scraping down the sides each time you do.
- Mix on a high speed until light and fluffy then add your zest and cinnamon.
- Using a spatula smooth the icing to edges of the first cake layer (or pipe a ring if you have more time) and then add the next cake over the top and press down until it is flat.
Candied orange slices